We have experienced many changes over the years as we responded to the call to ‘Go Out.’ Many other United Church of Canada congregations in greater Moncton trace their early beginnings back to Central United.
Here is a snap-shot of our past:
1821 The Free Meeting House becomes an ecumenical place of worship.
1822 Petitcodiac Circuit established
1847 The first denominational church was established at “the Bend,” the corner of Main and Wesley Street, Moncton
1874 Several branches of Methodism came together to form the Methodist Church of Canada
1877 New Methodist Church and manse were built fronting on Church Street
1885 Manse was moved from the middle of what became Queen Street
1912 New manse built due to fire
1914 (Nov 24) Fire destroys Central Methodist Church
1916 (Oct 22) Dedication of new Central Methodist Church
1925 (June 10) Methodists, Congregationalists and 70% of the Presbyterians unite to form The United Church of Canada and Central Methodist Church becomes Central United Church.
1968 Evangelical United Brethren become part of the United Church of Canada
2008 Central United Church begins working with other not-for-profit agencies to create the Community
Peace Centre complex on the corner of Church and Queen Streets
2012 (June 11) Official opening of Community Peace Centre, of which Central United Church is a